Brief History of the First Baptist Church of Farmington, Iowa
(handwritten at top of page: 1841-1939)
The First Baptist Church of Farmington was organized by Rev. Daniel Jewett, August 28, 1841.  Ober Standard was chairman, Rev. Daniel Jewett, pastor, and Rev. M. J. Post gave the recognition address.  It is the oldest church in the Keokuk association and entertained the State Convention in 1847.
The following were the charter members: Wm. Sperry, Daniel Jewett, Henry McCoy, Osa Tolman, John Gruell, George Brooks, Cynthia Sperry, Priscilla Jewett, Lavina Flood, Harriett Norris, Elizabeth McCoy and Lucinda Reed.  Later Wm. Sperry was licensed to preach and became a pioneer worker in the state.
The legal part of the organization was not completed till 1851.  The members built a small church in 1852.  The first house was sold and moved to the south part of town and made into a dwelling which is still in use.  When the church building became too small services were held in the Congregational church, as they were not using it at that time.  The second building erected was 20x30.  The dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. E. Gunn.
In 1893 the present building was erected.  This building is 30x40, with an annex of 24x30.  This building was dedicated Sunday, June 4, 1893, by Rev. F. N. Eldredge, with Rev. George Houghton, pastor, and E. P. Bartlett assisting.
Early pastors: Daniel Jewett, 1841-48; Leonard Ilsley, 1848-49; Hiram Burnett, 1850; Wm. H. Turton, 1850-57; M. M. Sutton, 1857-58; Wm. H. Turton, 1858-64; P. Inskeep, 1864; J. Lewelling, 1864-65; P. Inskeep, 1865-67, and others.
Some of the later pastors are: W. C. Sheperd, T. Ratcliffe, S. E. Wilkin, T. G. Shipp, C. F. McMann, M. C. Alexander, J. A. Cochran, J. H. Perry, W. F. Robbins, J. V. Wright, M. R. Rogers, S. P. Kerr and the present pastor, Rev. J. W. Salzman.
The first homecoming of the Farmington Baptist church was held Sunday with an attendance of 500 people.  A basket dinner and program in Anderson park at Farmington was followed by services at the church.
Rev. J. V. Wright was the only former pastor present, he is now located at Mt. Pleasant.
This first homecoming was a grand success and plans are to make it an annual affair.
Source: clippings from scrapbook located in the Van Buren Co. Genealogical Society Library, Keosauqua, IA

Contributed by Volunteer Transcriber Paul French


Van Buren Co. GenWeb Project