Van Buren County
VAN BUREN COUNTY HISTORICAL INVENTORY
Van Buren County was among the first of the counties in Iowa to be settled and was one of the most populous at one time. Many of the buildings of historic interest have been a part of the community so long that their significance is forgotten, Included in this information are several places of special historic interest that do not have signs marking their site, or information other than just the name. These places were important in the development of the county and many of them mentioned in the History Book, so we felt we should include them in a list of such sites along with the Inventory. Grave sites are easily located, of course, but many of the other places named have no mark of any kind to designate their exact location, This inventory was planned during this Bicentennial *1976" year to alert persons to these spots in our County. Our historic heritage can become meaningless unless we are aware of it. It is the duty of the present to preserve what is good from the past and pass it one to the future in better shape than we found it. We want to express our appreciation to all those persons who assisted in furnishing material for this list and historical data.
The Van Buren County Bicentennial Committee
Printed in Van Buren County - 1977 -
Van Buren County Register Printing Department
INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL PLACES
1. La Verne Von Seggen Farm Home-1 mile east of Farmington-built 1838. “State Line House’, an eary stage coach stop and tavern. Has hand hewn oak and walnut beams, wide old windows and heavy doors with original brass locks.
2. The McBride Home, north of city limits on top of hill - built 1839-40, perhaps oldest house in town. Built by John Crow, an Englishman, first to be naturalized in Farmington, at first term of court. It originally had a fireplaces and a breezeway between house and summer kitchen.
3. “Emanuel Miller House", corner of 4th and Pearl, owned by John Daakey, built 1840 or before, one of oldest home in Farmington. Served as home of first minister of Second Congregational Church in Iowa, 1847 - 1860.
4. "Warnock Homestead", at end of Olive St., buih 1804 WM. Warnock, born 1801 at Armagh, Ireland. thought to be first owner. Quaint decorations, charming construction. One of Farmington's oldest homes.
5. “Old Perry Place”, 302 Walnut Hill, built 1840 as home and cigar factory & used as early inn. Owned by Thelma Moreland. Walnut beams, diamond shaped windows English type home.
6. “The Pfister Home”, Corner of 4th and Washington, built 1845 or before. Bought by Rev. R.A. Pfister, pioneer minister from Bransfeat, Germany, in 1864. Owned now by Mrs. Freda Nyberg.
7. “The Old Gleckler House," built 1845-1850, owned by Mrs. Ruby Rider, 305 Elm. St. Brick. One of oldest homes in Farmington.
8. Congregational Church, 4th Street, owned by Pioneer Historical Society of Farmington, used as a museum. Built 1847-48, like early New England churches, planned by “lowa Band,” young ministers from Andover, Mass. Built of native woods. The sturdy walnut pews and clear, melodious bell are still in perfect condition. First pastor was Rev. Harvey Adams of “Iowa Band,” 1843-1860,
9. "The old Hassman Place,” north end of Olive St., Built 1848-1850. Owned by Mrs. Paul Wood. An old brick homestead, as old fashioned as a Currier and Ives painting.
10. The Mrs. Estel Seth Home, built 1856, brick." Daniel Texter, from Germany, as his home and shoe shop.
11. “George Whittall House,” 505 State St., 1857, owned by Harvey E. Strah.
12. “The W.H. Knott Home,” S. Second ST., 1850-52, owned by Mrs. Dora Simmons. Unchanged throughout the years.
13. “Old Hartrick House,” 1860, 202 S. 2nd. St., owned by Leland Fye. OUTSIDE almost unchanged over years.
14. “The Doeling Home” later the Annadale Ponte home, N. Front St., 1860's, almost unchanged by time.
15. “The old Clifford Homestead,” 1 Mile West of Farmington Pre Civil War, built of old time bricks, Owned by Mrs. Robert Ekle,
16. “The Old Opera House,” State St., 1865-70, owned by Conrad, Inc., later used as skating rink, hatchery, and the Stirling Woolen Mills.
17. “The Burg Building,” 1875, owned by Miss Becky Renard housed Burg's Carriage and Wagon Manufacturing Co., Farmington's finest old building, built of white stone, stately and sturdy. Louis Burg came from Bavaria in 1853. Turned out 250 wagons and 100 carriages and buggies annually, still some in existence.
18. The Moore Home, 309. S. Third St., built 1870 by John Moore. Owned by Everett Moore,
19. Dr. Kirkpatrick house, corner 4th and Olive, built 1875 Doctor Office still stands to the W., now a home. Owned by C.H. Schakel.
20. Old Thero Home, 402 S. 5th, built by W.F. Thero, 1875-76, owner Keith Muntz.
21. The Goodin House, 305 N. 2nd, built 1878-80, by W.H. Goodin, pioneer merchant. Owner-Albert Evans.
22. The Chris Wendt home, 408 S. 4th, built 1880 or earlier by Chris Wendt, some remodeling. Owner Ardath Deere.
23. The Frank Carr home, 301 State St., built in 1880's by F.D. Carr, with attractive features. Owner Barry Smith.
24. Folker Building, built in 1880 as store and doctor's offices, now owned by Robert Satterly and used as a barber shop, gun shop and apartments.
25. The Howard Kelley Home, 501 N. 4th St., built in 1880 by Howard Kelley. Owner Mrs. Paul Lowery.
26. Van Buren Co. Savings Bank, Corner Elm and 2nd, built in 1880's as bank, now owned by Bernard Bell, Feed Store, Lodge room upstairs.
27. The Stirling Woolen Mills, corner State and 3rd, built 1885 by John Stirling, Sr. who came from Scotland as weaver of fine Scotch fabrics, with sons Joseph and George. Now owned by Conrad's as mill and feeds.
28. W.S. French home, built 1888-1890, 108 N. 3rd St by W.D. McCormick, Attorney at Law, Latticed tower room. Owner- Mrs. Ethel French.
29. “Clark Home” Built 1836 - (??), first houses. of track on W. side of Texas, unoccupied, owned by Mrs. Flora Mae Baxter, Louisville, Ky. Logs. Maybe oldest house in Bonaparte.
30. “Thomas Christy Home,” 1839, owned by Madge Diephus. Thomas Christy, merchant, stone mason, was founder of the Farmers and Traders State Bank in Bonaparte and had charge of building the first river bridge at Bonaparte.
31. “The Harley Christy Home,” built 1840 by Wm. Meek. S. of tracks on w, side of West St. owned by Mrs. Emma Christy. Early home of town founder.
32. “Auntie Green Hotel,“ N.W. corner of 2nd and Washington, built 1844, owned by Bonaparte Historical Society. Last existing hotel in Bonaparte. Has walnut woodwork and five fireplaces.
33. Ross Plumbing and Heating, SW corner of 2nd and Main Built 1845-58, perhaps dates from time of Morman encampment, similar in detail to Morman structures of Nauvoo.
34. “Farmer and Traders Bank," North of 1st on West side of Main, 1845-50, owned by Town of Bonaparte, perhaps built during time of Morman Encampment,
35. “William Meek home,” 1848–53, owned by Harold Meek. Later home of Town founder, a graceful mansion, of southern type on River road just West of town.
36. Mrs. Keith L. McCrary's residence, approximately 1850, Section 15, across river from Reeds Creek (Morman Camp - 1846), possibly built by Morman laborers. Granary and hay and horse barn, built 1860, built and owned by Lewis Myers.
37. “Thomas Carlton home” 1855 - 60, Corner 1st and Orchard, owned by Corry Machine Tool and used for storage. Thomas Carlton was first school teacher and an early postmaster in Bonaparte.
38. “Chase Home,” 1850-60, 2nd house north of 5th on west side of Washington, owned by Majorie Lindsay, thought to be one of the very early home in town, predates Civil War. Of brick.
39. The Sedgewick home, 1855, Southeast corner of Texas and 2nd. W.E. Sedgewick built home before going to Civil War.
40. “Dr. Bogle Home,” 1856, first house north of track, Westside of Maple. Owned by Kenneth Hawk. Predates railroad in 1857.
41. “Hart Home,” 1855-60, perhaps before 1855. southeast corner of 4th and Main, owned by Keith Fletcher.
42. "Kerr Home,” 1855, south of tracks on east side of Main, owned by Virgie Allen. W.B. Kerr came to Bonaparte in 1842.
43. "Whitmore Home,” northwest corner of 5th and Washington, 1858, owned by George Holden.
44. "Benjeman [sic] Ketcham,” 1858, 1st house south of tracks on West side of Main. Owned by Donald Ward. Excellent example of mid-19th century home.
45. “Keasling Home,” northeast corner, 4th and Main, 1859, owned by Byron Muntz.
46. “Fuller Home,” 1st house north of tracks on west side of Madison, 1860, owned by Maurice Cummings.
47. "Fowler Home,” 1861, 4th house north of 1st St., East side of Washington. Brick.
48. “Peterie Home,” 1859-62. 2nd house north of tracks on west side of Madison, owned by Clyde Clark, interesting arched windows,
49. “Isiah [sic] Meek Home,” 1868, owned by Max Reno. An enormous mid-victorian mansion. Isiah [sic] was owner of Meek Mills. North side of 7th St., between Main and West.
50. Residence of Edward Thornburg, built by Joseph F. Perkins in 1856 or early days of Civil War, said to be part of “Underground Railroad.” 1st house south of town on east side of highway 79.
51. The Mohler home, 4th house north of track on west side of Madison, built during Civil War or earlier by Noah Mohler, now owned by Emerson Russell.
52. J.B. Cresap home, 2nd house north of 5th, east side of Washington built Civil War period by John Cresap. Owned by Richard Holden.
53. Sturdivant Cresap Home, 4th and Texas, built 1865 by John Detwiler, home of early doctor. Owned by Richard McCarty.
60. Lumber Co., 1st facing north, built by Thomas Hauhack [sic Hanback] 1866-73 as Pottery, now owned by Bonaparte Lumber Co.
61. Whitlock Home, southeast corner of 5th and Texas, built 1868-69 by Augustus Whitlock as home.
62. Hanback Home, 1st and Texas, built 1867 by Thomas Hanback, owner of Pottery Works.
63. G.W. Troutman Home, 5th and Texas, built 1866-70 by G.W. Troutman. Owned by Emma Mae Shriver.
64. Stebbins Home, 2nd house south of 5th, east side of Texas, built 1868 by Thomas Slocum, owned by Darrell Morris.
65. Ryland Home, 4th house north of track, west side of Maple, built by George Ryland in 1876. Owned by Nate Nelson.
66. Humphryes home, southeast corner of 8th and Washington, built by H.V. Humphryes, 1870-75, Interesting arched windows. Owned by Mrs. Douthart.
67. Jacob Wolf home, southwest corner 4th and Maple, built 1878 by Jacob Wolf. Owned by Nate Nelson.
68. Steadman Home, northwest corner 7th and Washington, built in 1878 by Asa Steadman, operator of large limekiln. Owned by Clarence Wixom.
69. Merideth [sic Meredith] Wilson home, 1st house north of tracks, west side Maple, built 1875-80 by G.W. Merideth [sic Meredith], Owned by Georgeanna [sic Georgiana] Wilson,
70. Vale Home, 409 Jackson St., built 1880 by B.R. Vale, State Senator and president of Bank. Owned by Stephen Schriver [sic Shriver].
71. Whitlock Home, 2nd house N. of 2nd, W. side Maple, built 1875-85 by J. Whitlock. Owned by Donald Wallingtord.
72. Bishop Home, northeast corner Madison and 1st, built by Bertram Bishop in 1880. Owned by Donald Wallingtord.
73. Easling Home, northwest corner 5th and Maple, built 1880 by Henry Easling, originally 1 story. Owned by Elmer Nelson.
74. Fitzgerald Home, 2nd house north of 4th west side of Maple built 1875-80 by B. Fitzgerald, originally or 1/2 story. Owner Emma Mae Steckler [sic Stecker],
75. Robert Meek Home, only house north of school unoccupied, site of Meek graves.
76. Smith Home, northeast corner 2nd and Maple built 1875-80 by Newton Smith. Late Victorian architecture. Owned by Clifford Meyer.
77. Muir home, northeast corner 4th and Maple built 1892-93, by Benjamin Muir, home of Civil War veteran. Fine metal grillwork, owned by Elaire[?] Warner, deceased.
78. Bonaparte Township Sec. 20, Kenneth Crabill's residence, built 1880 by Alexander Cummings. Owned by Earl Rice, Jr.
79. Hancock House, south of 3rd St., built 1839 by James A. Brown, earliest existing house in Bentonsport. Owned by Otho Downey.
80. Mason House, Sanford and 1st, built 1846 by William Robinson as hotel. Oldest existing inn on Des Moines River, thought to be oldest in State. Owned by Herbert Redhead.
81. “Morman House,” last house north on Sanford, built in 1840's, unoccipied [sic], duplex, originally 2-story cut stone. Owned by William J. Wagner, Dallas Center, Ia.
82. Blacksmith shop, north side of 1st St. built in 1840's unoccupied. Owned by Norwood Teal, Keosauqua.
83. Bentonsport Academy, north side of 3rd, built in 1851 as private school, one of earliest private schools west of Mississippi. Owned by Bentonsport Improvement Association.
84. Samuel Paine Home, on hill We mile east of Bentonsport on north side of river, built in 1851 by Samuel E. & Mercie Paine. Paine was storekeeper & organizer of company in Civil War. His son biographer of Mark Twain. Owned by Stanley and Paul Wellman, Houghton, Iowa.
85. “Dolly's House,” north side of 1st, built in early 1850's, one of few early store buildings remaining. Owned by Van Buren Co. Conservation Board.
86. Sanford House, south side of 3rd, built 1852 by Chas, Sanford, one of early pioneers and a founder of Academy. Owned by John Cross, Dallas Center, Iowa.
87. Greef Commercial Buildings, north side of 1st, built by H.F. Greef 1853, some of earliest and last remaining commercial structures in town. Owned by Van Buren County Conservation Board.
88. Odd Fellows Hall, south side of 1st street, built 1853, oldest existing Odd Fellows Hall in lowa. VPied. Owned by Van Buren County Conservation Board.
89. Post Office, north side of 1st, built 1853, of black walnut 7th P.O. commissioned in State. owned by Herbert Redhead.
90. Greef Home, west side of Sanford, north of 1st, built in 1855, home of pioneer, banker and storekeeper. Owned by Pherrin Dowell, Des Moines, Iowa.
91. Bank of Bentonsport, built 1856, north side of lst street, by H.F. Greef as bank. Issued its own money at one time. Owned by Van Buren County Conservation Board.
92. Presbyterian Church, north side of 3rd, on hill built 1856. Open as informal museum. Owned by Bentonsport improvement Association.
93. Joseph Montgomery Home, built 1856, 1st house south of track, by Joseph Montgomery, early pioneer and operator of Bentonsport Mill. Owned by Dr. Marcus Bach, Des Moines.
94. United Methodist Church, north side of 3rd Street built 1857. Still used for services.
95. Methodsit [sic] Parsonage, built 1858, east of church as the parsonage, owned by J. Cole.
96. Utica Methodist Church, Section 1, dedicated 2-15-1880. (1st church was of brick) Used for reunions.
97. Paul Johnston's home, Sec. 1, built before 1850 by Allie Johnston's grandfather, the oldest home in area, in Utica. Logs as joists. Remodeled.
98. Clinton Huff’s home, Sec. 36, built around 1900 by Worthington Huss.
99. Stone House- across Bear Creek, Section 14, built by Mormans & when they spent one winter here in 1846. Owned by Virgil D. Cole, Bonaparte, Jessie James is said to have hid out here. It has always been occupied. There is a cemetery on the farm with some very beautiful stones. The interior has been remodeled,
100. The Norman Barker home, built about 1854. It was a Stage Coach stop for change of horses on road to Des Moines. Section 7.
101. Vernon Methodist Church, Section 2, built for a factory where spinning wheels were made. Then turned into one of first “apartment” houses with at least 3 apartments bought and changed into a church in 1865 and used as such until 1920's. Now owned by Mrs. Maynard Corry.
102. Dickson barn, Section 15, built by William Gaston in 1862. All native lumber cut on farm, put together with pegs, no nails used. Floor tongue and groove. owned by Mrs. Leslie G. Dickson. Leslie Dickson was grandson of builder.
103. Vernon Academy, built 1869, owned by the Wendell Mohrs. Used as school until 1960.
104. Old Stone House on Roger Hornbaker property, built in 1878 by George Craig of stone quarried on farm. Fire place in basement-kitchen Section 11.
105. Vernon, Section 1, near old Methodist Church Dr. Bailey home, partly burned but restore. Was station on Underground Railway, Vernon is said to have been named for Dr. Bailey's daughter, Vernor Owned by Mrs. Donald Gwinnup.
106. Old James Allender or James Marriott home, section 2, on main road south of Vernon, 2-story brick
with 12 rooms and lovely stairway. Owner, John Wolf.
107. Bonneyview, D123rd St., built 1839 by William Hadden, oldest frame building in Keosauqua. Josiah Bonney bought it and added part toward town in 1856. Estelle Bonney Walker named it Bonneyview. Now owned by Donald Carruthers.
108. Eunice Mariet Home, 307 Market St., built 1840 by Eliza Pruett. A station on Underground Railroad, a small room in basement with heavy wall. Unoccupied now, in Estate of Eunice Mariet,
109. John Manning Home, 204-4th Street, built 1840 by Edwin Manning when he was past 70 years old. He was a member of the original "Van Buren County,” founders of Keosauqua. Owned now by John A. Manning.
110. Van Buren County Court House - Dodge |and 4th, built 1842-44 by B.F. Pearson. Oldest court house in lowa still in use. Scene of 1st murder trial in Iowa. The hanging took place V2 block north of Court House in 1846.
111. The Pearson House, Dodge and Country Road, built 1845 by Benjamin Franklin Pearson. Oldest brick home and oldest home, little changed, in Keosauqua. 2nd floor used for Methodist church services until church built in 1851. A station on “Underground Railroad” with trap door still intact. Now owned by Van Buren County Historical Society, furnished in period, and open to tours.
112. McGrath Law Office, 501 Dodge Street, back room was log cabin and was first school in Keosauqua in 1840.
113. County Jail, 4th Street, built 1856.
114. Manning Hotel, 100 Van Buren St., remodeled from the Manning Store and Bank building in 1898, Manning's store and bank building had been built 1854, was stop for steamboats for supplies in early times. Hotel owned by Mrs. Mabel Miller. It has withstood 4 floods, 1903, 1905, and two in 1947.
115. Log cabin, 507 Dodge Street, built 1858 by a Mr. Miller remodeled by Roger Kittle, who left the solid log walls in the living and dining rooms and plastered over them. Station on Underground Railroad. Slave apparently hiddin in small “walled up” space below dining room. Owned now by [left blank space]
116. Cecil Ridgeway, 1301 - 4th Street, built in 1860's as log cabin home, Present structure built over log cabin room.
137. Van Buren County Historical Society Museum first and Cass Street, built approximately 1875, by Voltaire Twombly, only Van Buren County winner of Congressional Medal of Honor during Civil War, won at Battle of Ft. Donelson. Was used as various stores thru the years and then as the Post Office before becoming the museum.
118. Jack Dorothy Property, Country Road, built in 1880 as a hotel for stage coach stop. Little rooms still in the structure.
119. Log Cabin, moved into Pearson House grounds. Owned by the County Historical Society.
120. Sarah Garrett House, 5th Street, built 1850. It was a log cabin given the Garrett Family as payment for help by the Edwin Manning family. Now in the Mary Garrett Estate.
121. Ronald Watkins home, lot 2, block 27, built 1865 by Alex and Margaret E. Brady. Upstairs added later and modernized.
122. LeRoy Wright Home, 207 2nd Street, built 1880 by John W. Rowley, who held various government jobs.
123. Warren Keck home, 600 Main Street, built in 1880 by Capt. Duckworth. Upper part added later.
124. Harold Carter Home, 511 Cass Street, built 1885 by Fritz family.
125. Congregational Church, built 1887, corner Van Buren and Broad, the site where first Congregational Church in the county was built in 1846 at cost of $1,030. Rev. Daniel Lane, pastor at the time.
126. William Haney Home, 301-301/2 2nd Street, built 1889, by Abb Manning, one of 3 Keosauqua homes built with perfect lumber, no knots, etc.
127. Beatty Home, 100 Porter Steet, built in 1890's by M. Whitney. Owned by Eleanor Strait.
128. Bob Reed House, end of 1st., built in 1890's by Joseph Chenny family, owned by Bob Reed, rental property.
129. Wesley Houdesheldt Home, 201 Chestnut St., built in 1890 by J.C. Strickling.
130. Vick's Cafe, 717-1st., built in 1890's by W.E. Fosnot, 1st Jeweler in Keosauqua Business district.
131. Bruce Apartment House, corner Market and 2nd Street, built in 1890's by Seth Craig, one of 3 homes built with specially picked lumber, no knots, etc. At one time Dr. John Craig lived here and treated patients here. Owned by Robert Bruce, Lake San Marcus, California.
132. Brothers' Home, 300 Dodge Street, built in 1890's; 2nd owner was Dr. Sherman who had his office and treatment room for a time in his home. Owner Mrs. Pauline Brothers.
133. Watson Home, 306 Dodge Street, built in 1890's, noted for solid walnut circular staircase.
134. Harold Jamison Home, 211. Van Buren, built 1890, by Mrs. Kate Cone, who had one of the county's early millinery shops.
135. Duckworth Building, 110 Main Street, built 1891 by Captain Duckworth, as hardware store, now a service station and car repair shop, owner Frank Jamison.
136. Christian Church, 2nd and Bridge, built in 1891. The original building was the front part of church, several additions have been added. This was the first Christian denomination in the county.
137. Robert Darr Home, 706 - 2nd street, built in 1893 by Kinersley family. Was home of an early druggest [sic], named Jackson; later Dr. McIntosh's office; and later a nursing home.
138. Sidney Sparks' home built in 1895 by Mr. A Napp, now a rental, 210 Van Buren Street.
139. Harold Jamison home, 400 Market Street, built in 1895 by Lippincutt [sic Lippincott] family. At one time the home of the pioneer Duffield family.
140. Hazel McIntosh Home, 300 Cass Street, built 1895 by Gus Varner.
141. The Bert Leck Home, 504 Cass Street, built 1898 by Dr. Harris as his office.
142. Edith Smith Home, 205 Chestnut Street, built in 1898 by Hugh Sloan, one of town's FIRST lawyers.
143. Bess Overman Home, 209 Main Street, built in 1899 by C.W. Davidson, builder, from parts of house much older located on same spot, with additions made.
144. United Methodist Church, rebuilt in 1899. 406 Cass Street first church built 1848-51, after Methodists had been meeting in various places for 15 years.
145. Dr. Frank M. McClurg's Office Building. Built before 1900. Given to Historical Society by his son, Dr. Haven McClurg, of Fairfield.
146. Sam House Home, Section 27 at Pittsburg, built before Civil War. Phil Stong's birthplace. Perhaps in 1840.
147. Mrs. Pearl Reed's home, Section 27 at Pittsburg, 1851, probably oldest house in Pittsburg.
148. Bruce Strait's residence, section 14, building in August 3, 1863 by John Cook, who said that while he was working on the house he could hear the cannon fire from the battle of Athens, during Civil War. Brick made on place.
149. The Pat Murphy farm, section 17, southeast of Mt. Zion, 1870. Owned and being restored by [section left blank]
150. Barker House east of Mt. Zion Church, Sec. 4, built !870 by Joseph Barker. owned by Clyde McElhinney. Morning Sun, Iowa.
151. Barker House north of Mt. Zion, section 6, built 1870 by William Barker. Small brick building back of house said to be much older and used as hide-away for runaway slaves. Owned by Clyde McElhinney.
152. Pittsburg, section 27, between Pittsburg and cemetery, built before Civil War, perhaps 1860, a brick home owned by Wilbur Yarnell.
153. Cecil Ridgeway house, West section 22, built pre-Civil War by George Duffield. Brick.
154. Home owned by James W. McGrath, Jr., section 27, south of Pittsburg on Lebanon Road, built before 1891, perhaps 1880.
155. Pittsburg School house, section 27, built 1884 or 85, remodeled 1949, used as school until May 1960. Owned by Mrs. Clarence Ewing.
156. Old Methodist parsonage, built about 1900 after first parsonage was torn down. Owned by Mr. and Mrs Kenneth Wiley. Section 27, Pittsburg.
157. Roscoe Hughes Home, Pittsburg section 27, built 1893 by John and Mary Drummond,
158. Mr. and Mrs. John E. Taylor home, section 13, built about 1860 by Arch Sherman.
159. Rock Bridge on old Railway at Mt. Zion, section 7, Bridge laid on foundation of hardwood walnut timbers, 1864, trestle work done by Bethel Campbell. Railroad abandoned in that area before 1870. Owned by Richard Perkins.
160. Mike McCarty House, Mt. Zion, section 21, built 1870 or before, Dr. Smutz lived in house and also Dr. Yhost. Owned by Addison McIntosh and used as storage.
161. Stanley Strait Home, west 15 section, built 1871 by Elexander Paton Craig. Remodeled later.
162. Linford Leavitt Home, Mt. Zion, section 7, built in 1875 by William Barker as restaurant and post office.
163. Fanny Kennedy Home, 105 - 5th street. South of River, built 1878 as Christian Church, sold 1890.
164. Robert Campbell Home and barn, section 8. built 1880 by Bethel Campbell as residence and horse barn, farm in family since 1841.
165 Hubert Gilbert's Home, section 11, built 1882 by Mr. Leech.
166. Leech School House.
167. Douds field Day Community Building, on main street, built in 1890 - 95 by John Sloan as drug store in Portla and and moved on ice to Douds about 1908. It has served many purposes: drug store, restaurant, produce market, grocery, dance hall and community hall. Porch braces, windows and doors are original.
168. Della Stilwell Hill's home, west of Bank, built before 1900 as a hotel and used as such many years.
169. Douds Rock Island Depot, built 1911, moved and now owned by Douds Historical Preservation Association, Inc. Used as museum for railroad items and coal mining equipment,
170. Farmers and Traders Bank, built by Dan Plowman in 1914, oldest remaining business and building still operating in Douds.
171. Cramlet Round Barn, section 12, on road between Douds and Libertyville, built 1924 by Frank Cramlet, as a 3-story stone and brick barn for his horses. Owned by Ross Cramlet, Des Moines, Iowa.
172. Mrs. Cindy Hughes' home, the original part, a log cabin was built before Iowa became a territory, on Indian land, probably in early 1830's.
173. “Hinkle Red bard and rock fence,” built in 1840's by Eli LeFever as freight depot, "A mile southeast of Selma. LeFever hauled freight from Keokuk to Selma with horse and wagon. It has a hewn frame with limestone foundation and basement. Owned by Willis Cox.
174. Log Cabin, built about 1846 7 mile east of Selma and moved in to Selma in 1969 by members of Van Buren County Historical Society, log by log, after logs were numbered. then reconstructed on this site bought from the railroad, and the fireplace was built.
175. Selma United Methodist Church, built in 1869. Two Sunday School rooms were added from the old Bethel Methodist Church, northwest of Birmingham, which stood at the Bethel Cemetery where Ann Rutledge's mother is buried when that church was closed.
176. The Bruce Blackburn home, built before 1882 on south side of river and owned by W.E. (Gene) Downing, who ran the Selma Ferry at least from 1882 to 1892. Moved across river on ice to present site south of Post Office before 1900. Has small round windows at each gable end.
177. Opal Nelson's Home, built before 1890 as two-room school house.
178. Zion Bible church, built 1875, by first English-speaking Lutheran Church in Iowa. Sold to Zion Bible group after 1963 and has been enlarged and modernized and has lost its original appearance. Section 24.
179. Mt. Moriah Methodist Church, built 1897, section 14. First church on site built in 1846. Original seats. Owned by Harold Morrow, Eldon; Ross Cramlet, Selma; and T.O. Nutt, Douds.
180. Business Corner School, section 11, built before 1900, oldest school structure in this area. Owned by Ralph Caves, Douds.
181. Junior Mathias home, section 35, built 1850 by Buck Master family, renovated but retains original appearance of an early brick home.
182. Cumberland Presbyterian Church, section 2, built mid-1850's. The Rutledge family attended here. Owned and used as haybarn by William Woodrow.
183. John Bell's home in Kilbourne, section 2 south built in early days by Jake Stong, Phil Stong's grandfather as home and first store in Kilbourne. He started his store with 1 barrel of flour and 1 barrel of sugar and 1 bolt of unbleached muslin. It has been enlarged and modernized.
184. Mrs. Freda Mae Reneker Holder's home, built 1858-59. Section 33, by Daniel Reneker who came in 1845. Brick molded and burned on farm. Basement barn built before 1860.
185. Reneker log cabin, section 33, built before 1880 by Joshua Reneker, Sr., owned by his grandson, Paul Reneker.
186. Barn of “Ohio.” architecture, built 1863 by Robert Orr Lindsay, section 24, owned by Lester and Alma Lindsay.
187. Old house Section 13, 1 mile south of Birmingham, now empty built approximately 1880, probably by Eichelberger, “Ohio" type, now owned by Robert Rains. Used for storage.
188. John and Ruth Jones’ home at Kilbourne section 2, built in 1867. Remodeled. Peck Stong, Phil's uncle, lived here.
189. Stone Arch under Des Moines Valley Railway section 1, built in 1868 as Pioneer wagon trail underpass. Now a waterway.
190. Kilbourne School, section 2, contract signed 1869, 2nd room added 1920's, school closed 1959. Owned by Kilbourne Aid Society. Used for quilting and community groups.
191. Home owned by Beulah Scott, section 11, built in 1870.
192. Oak Grove School, section 33, School 1870 to 1960.
193 "Old Tower House,” section 6, built in 1860's used as dwelling till 1969, now empty. About the only very old structures left in community. Now owned by Harley R. Shipley, Douds.
194. Birmingham Band Stand, built mid-1880's. In city Park, owned by town of Birmingham.
195. American Legion Log Cabin, Birmingham Public Park, built in 1923 by older men who had first hand knowledge of “pioneer" times and cabin building.
196. Minear barn, section 2, built in early 70's by George W. Minear basement barn with stone foundation, hand-hewn beams and metal. Owner Ruth Minear,
197. White School house, section 27, only rural school in township with much of original school furnishings left. Used as community center and township election hall. Old Lick Creek Election Hall built before 1874, was moved from across highway to same lot about 1965.
198. Brick House 1 mile north and 1 mile east of Douds on highway 16, before 1880, unoccupied. Owner J.W. Boyer, Douds.
199. Kilbourne Methodist Church, built 1889. Now owned by Kilbourne Cemetery Association.
200. Fred Carter farm home, section 7, built 1889 by Hiram Lewis Trout, who live there until 1932.
201. Mrs. Helen Bones’ home, Kilbourne, section 2, built before 1890.
202. Ray Gates house, section 35, 2 rooms built before 1890, others added about 1910. Rental property.
203. Oak Grove Free Methodist Church, section 33, built 1895. Owned by Oak Grove Community.
204. Old log cabin section30, built in late 1890's by Christy. Jacob Hootman, Sr. and Jr. hewed the logs. Owned by Lester Hootman and used for storage.
205. White Chapel Church, section 21, built before 1895, moved intact and constructed into a barn about 1936. Owned by Edward Leyden.
206. Freda Piper's house at Kilbourne, section 2, built before 1900 by John Taylor. Owned by Danny Coff.
207. Fordyce Inn, section 26, west half built in 1840's, east half shortly after Civil War. Built as a farm home and used as Inn during stage coach days, the half-way point between Ottumwa and Keokuk. Bethany Christian Church organized in home in 1854. May have been stop on “Underground Railway.” Built by Jarius Fordyce, now owned by Col. Richard P. Silver, New York City, a direct descendent, occupied by John Hoffer family.
208. Beswick basement barn and granary, section 23, built 1850; home built in 1874,
209. Robert Morrison home, section 28, built 1855 by Benjamin Ford.
210. strong>Calvin Douthard home, section 23, built pre-Civil War by Edward Day.
211. Van Meek home, section 31, built before Civil War, probably by J.A. Jones.
212. Richard Hartman home, section 5, Pre-Civil War, a brick home built by William Fast of brick made on the farm.
213. Clem Topping's home and barn, section 1, built 1859 by Benjamin Williams. Lumber brought from Ft. Madison by wagon. Frame horse barn older than house.
214. John Baldwin Arnold's Smokehouse, built 1864. now owned by Mrs. Hazel Burden.
215. LaVerne Phillips place, section 21, at south edge of Winchester, built before 1865, Williamson Burrows moved into house in 1865). Now empty.
216. Keith Webber home, section 1, built 1869 by John H. Webber, in family over 100 years.
217. Fred O Brown home, section 16, built before 1870 probably by A.A. Fry.
218. Jim Campbell home, section 10, built before 1870 probably by J. Griffith.
219. Harold Beswick’s bank barn, built 1871 by James Beswick, Jr. In family over 100 years.
220. Martha Laubach home, section 18, built in 1875 by Hugh Nelson, her grandfather.
221. Mrs. Chas. Unkrich home, section 9, built before 1875 by Hugh Smith.
222. Bonnett School, number 2, section 9.
223. Basement Barn section 1, outstanding horse barn, built exclusively for horses - pure bred Percheron horses, in 1916 by S.C. Morris. Owned by Milo Clark Stockport.
224 Summer home of Mrs. Twylah Snider, “Aunt Kim's Place,” section 17, built in 1854 by George Fisher Morris, son of Henry Morris (See Morris Park). Owned by George's granddaughters, Mrs. Twylah Snider and Mrs. Roy Maddix of Mt. Pleasant.
225. Deane Harlan's home, section 8, built in early civil war days by Nathan Harlan who settled in county in 1852.
226. "Tarpleywick Farm,” section 15-16 barn with rock foundation built 1860 and corn crib built 1870. Now owned by Jessie L. Brewer.
227. Morris Memorial Park. Log cabin built by John H. and Arthur Morris, grandsons of Henry and Jane Morris, as a replica of their 1838 log cabin. In 1969 the Park was deeded to the Van Buren County Conservation Board. It is a museum of farm machinery, tools and early household equipment.
228. Frank Lane's home, section 16-17, built by Francis Lane in 1884 after original home burned. Owned by Frank Lane.
229. Christian Church of Stockport, built 1893.Tapley Taylor was a member here.
230. United Methodist Church of Stockport (Epworth) was built 1896-98.
231. Ira Pratt's home, section 31, present home built before 1900. Original home probably 1840 of log, by Chas. Derr. First Utica Post Office was in the home. It was a stage coach stop.
232. Log House and log barn, section 32, built in 1866 by W. Christian Schmidt, has been in family 109 years, now used for storage and as barn by owners LeRoy O. and Thema P. Schmidt.
233. Harrisburg Baptist Church, section 16, built in 1867, radically remodeled in 1912 and again in 1966.
234. “Lorenzo Ellis House,” section 14, built in 1840, approximately, by Lorenzo Ellis. Rear is section of Ellis Saw Mill, contains unusual basement or cells, fireplace. Owned by Ancil Hull, Douds.
235. Lorenzo Ellis Barn, section 14, built in 1840s Original construction mostly unchanged, has unique retaining wall and much original sawed siding. Owned by Ancil Hull.
236. Asa Zietler log house, section 18, built in 1846-48 by a migrating Morman. For Mrs. Zieller's grandfather, Reuben Downing.
237. Ellis School Building, section 23, bull approximately 1846-48, with Amos Clayton as chie builder. Plank and log construction, oldest school house in county. Used as school until 1962. Now owned by Ellis community Club, Inc.
238. Malachi vinson Barn, section 36, built 1850 by Malichi Vinson. Basement barn of pine beam construction.
Owned by Perkings. Land Co. Keosauqua.
239. Liming Farm home, section 13, built in 1856 by John Liming of bricks burned in kiln on farm by former owner. In nearly original condition with fireplace and walnut woodwork. Owned by Thomas and Joseph Sexton, Keosauqua.
240. United Methodist Church of Lebanon,, section 36, built in 1846-48 as Indian Prairie Chapel at Lebanon Cemetery. Moved into present location in 1870 by oxen. Some additions and changes made in 1929 and 1946. (Several generations have attended this church.)
241. Clarence Phillips Home, built in 1862, of brick. Restored with modern addition.
242. Joe Beeler Blacksmith Shop, built in 1870. Loft was used as community meeting hall. Thought to be site of first G.A.R. meeting in county. Owned by Amish Community of Lebanon, section 2.
243. Pat Casady's home, Division and 4th, but before 1880 by great-grandfather of George Norris, Jr.
244. Reininghaus, Brown and 3rd, a hotel built iom early days of town, about 1880, now empty.
245. Mrs. Ida Kerr House, Old Egypt Methodist Church was moved in to this site, used as church another Methodist Church was built in 1886, then made into a home. Now owned by Mrs. Oletha Sedore. Sout side of 4th.
246. Dwight McCracken home, Division and 5th, built about 1880, said to be about the oldest home in town.
247. Gene Magorian home, north side of 4th, built in 1880's by Dick Welborn.
248. Magorian Barber Shop, west side of Division Street, 1881, all other business buildings on west side of business district burned in 1898 except this one. In 1912 used as bank building, then by Lions Club, Library and Barber shop, and is now part of Fire Station.
249. Martin's Grocery Store, southeast corner of 2nd and Division, dated 1881, oldest business building in town. All other buildings on east side of business district burned in 1909.
250. Post Office, southwest corner of 2nd and Division, built 1899 as general store and later as a grocery.
251. Telephone Building, 2nd Street, west of Post Office, built 1901 by McKee, now used as Legion and Auxiliary Building.
252. Adrienne Baird's home, built before 1900, at one time the Methodist parsonage.
253. James William McGrath home, built before 1901 by Ed Manning for his daughter Kate, Mrs. will Parrott. Gothic windows.
254. Van Auken home built after 1911 by Ira Creath.
255. Public School built 1914.
256. Depot, built in 1871 with coming of Railway.
257. Mrs. Jack Head's home, built in 1880's by Robert Rowland.
258. Don Hargrove's Farm Home, Sec. N8, built 1893 by Ed Hargrove, remodeled about 1950. Farm owned and lived on by 4 generations of Hargrove family, 1864 to 1974.
259. Albert Grim Home, built before 1895.
260. Christian Church of Milton, built 1895-96.
261. “Heritage Church”, built before 1900. Used by Presbyterians from 1900 to 1940. Sold to Church of Nazarene in 1950. Bought by Heritage Society in 1974.
262. United Methodist Church, built in 1927 after 3rd church burned.
FORDS ON DES MOINES RIVER
Ely's-Des Moines Twp.
Kerr-Van Buren Twp.
Bonaparte Ferry Tree
Pittsburg Ferry Boat Landing
Soldiers' Orphans' Home-Farmington
Phil Stong's Birthplace-Pittsburg
Cantrii R.R. Depot
Egypt Church & School House-Jackson
Anti-Horsethief Assn. Bldg.-Union (Winchester)
Howe Academy- Bonaparte
Lane's Academy- Keosauqua
Birmingham Collegiate Institute
Many in county, none worked today.
Voltaire Paine Twombly-Pittsburg Cemetery
Mary Ann Rutledge-Bethel Cemetery-Lick Creek
Soldiers of Revolution:
Lewis Bonnett-Smith Cemetery
Soldiers of Revolution:
Thomas Rhodes, 1756-1848- Bonaparte
Lewis Bonnett-Smith Cemetery
Soldiers of War of 1812
W. Grousbeck-Birmingham Presbyterian Cemetery
John Randall-Birmingham Methodist Cemetery
Many along the Des Moines River, easiest to find area Ely's Ford.
Many in County, none worked today
Old Church Tree-near Pittsburg
Covered R.R. Bridge at Farmington